AS-Overlord (whose full name is Operation Overlord) is a map appearing in Unreal Tournament.
Map description Edit
A map inspired by a real-life event, World War II's Operation: Overlord, it is a loose retelling of the event in a Tournament-style mission.
The attackers start at the beach, where they are being attacked by several auto-cannons, mortars, and of course, the enemy team. Once they get past all of it, they must run over a U-shaped Entrance ramp all the way to the Boiler room. This room has a ledge where the defenders come from in order to stop them, and a ramp going all the way to the Ammo room. Another series of wacky turning passages finally guides the attackers to the main part of the map: the Gun cavern, where the long range cannon which must be destroyed is held. A series of ramps guide the attacking team to both the Defenders' ledge and the Control room whose controls must be destroyed in order to render the cannon inoperable.
The defending team starts at the Barracks, where they have several teleporters sending them to the key destinations of the map in no time, such as the Gun Cavern, the Boiler room, the two watch towers: each loaded with a Rocket Launcher and a Sniper Rifle, and the foxholes holding the autocannons in the beach.
Weapons and pickups Edit
| Weapon: 4|
| Weapon: 1x East foxhole. 1x Ammo room, near entrance to the area. 1x Defenders' ledge, near teleporter entrance to the area. 1x Attackers' ship.|
Ammo: 3x Last passage, first turn after leaving Ammo room. 3x Entrance ramp, last turn before Boiler room. 2x Near East foxhole weapon. 2x Near the Ammo room weapon. 5x Near the ledge entrance weapon.
| Weapon: 2|
| Weapon: 1x End of the Defenders' ledge in the Boiler Room. 1x Ammo room, middle among the crates.|
Ammo: 2x Near the ledge weapon. 2x Near the Ammo room weapon.
| Weapon: 3|
| Weapon: 1x East watchtower. 1x Ammo room, center. 1x Gun cavern, near defenders' teleporter entrance.|
Ammo: 1x Near the east watchtower weapon. 2x Near the ammo room weapon. 2x Near the defenders' entrance weapon.
| Weapon: 5|
| Weapon: 1x Ammo room, near entrance to the area. 1x Gun Cavern, end of the defenders' ledge. 1x East watchtower. 1x West foxhole. 1x Attackers' ship.|
Ammo: 4x Entrance ramp, last corner before Boiler room. 3x Near the Ammo room weapon. 2x near the Gun Cavern ledge. 2x near the east watchtower weapon. 3x Near west foxhole weapon.
|10||2x Gun Cavern, below the main gun. 2x Entrance ramp, last turn before Boiler room. 2x Ammo room, near entrance to the Gun cavern. 1x Last passage, first turn after leaving Ammo room. 1x Last passage, U-turn. 2x Defenders' ledge in Boiler room.|
|1||1x First turn after leaving Ammo room.|
|4||1x Ammo room. 1x East foxholes. 1x East watchtower. 1x last passage, u-shaped turn.|
Tips and tricks Edit
- Time the mortar right, to avoid its devastating blow. Also, try to avoid as much as possible the automatic cannons, by dodging if needed.
- Try to avoid the fight in the Boiler room entrance, by entering last and using an impact hammer jump to the top of the ramp. Running in a zigzag strafing manner can help as well.
- If anyone from the attacking team manages to breach the Boiler room, his entire team can respawn at that area, thereby cutting their path short. So it is extremely important for the defending team to prevent the breach at any cost.
- As a defender, your best bet is to get into the foxholes and use the Minigun as much as you can. Another option is to pick the opponents on the beach head, using the Sniper Rifle from the watch towers.
- The retail version features Iron Guard as the rival team.
- This is the final map on the Assault ladder. Finishing it will give you the trophy for the Assault Champion.
- The map is inspired by the assault on the beach of Normandy in WWII.
- The beta version of the map lacked the teleporters, with long way corridors guiding into the defense spots.
See also Edit
|Assault maps for Unreal Tournament|
|AS-Frigate • AS-Guardia • AS-HiSpeed • AS-Mazon • AS-OceanFloor • AS-Rook|