|If you're searching for other versions of this map, you might want to check Recurring maps#Face.|
- "This ancient asteroid has been converted to an Arena for the Tournament. It is highly dangerous due to aberrant gravitational properties and, of course, the snipers from the other team."
- ―Map description
CTF-Face (whose full name is Facing Worlds) is a map in Unreal Tournament.
One of the most beautifully built—but at the same time, one of the most dangerous and longest maps in CTF, this arena requires a great deal of offensive and teamplay skills to make it to the enemy base and to get out of there in one piece. Every sniper can hone his skills by striking off enemy heads one-by-one. If you are good at delivering quick headshots, and of course without getting one in return, you can win this map flawlessly, regardless of how hard the game difficulty is.
Being highly popular among critics and fans, this map has various remakes as bonus pack maps of UT and official maps in Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 3, and Unreal Tournament 4.
Map description Edit
The map consists of an asteroid and two towers, each belonging to each team. The central part of the asteroid holds a Big Keg o' Health.
The bases themselves have the flag inside of them, and three teleporters guiding to three different spots. The lower level holds the flag, a Shock Rifle, and a Rocket Launcher. There is also a platform holding a Damage Amplifier.
With the entrance to each base being at the south, the west teleporter ends in a small chamber holding a Redeemer. The east teleport ends in another chamber, above the Redeemer chamber, this time holding a Sniper Rifle. And the third teleporter is placed right in the center of the lower area, and ends in the top of the tower, where players can find another Sniper Rifle and Body Armor. Outside of the bases, players can find some weapons and ammo as well.
It is arguably the most well-known map in the game, liked by many for its simple, symmetric design, and similarly reviled by some for its exploitative design that appeals to snipers and campers.
Weapons and pickups Edit
|Weapon||Count||Ammo||Weapon Location||Ammo Location|
|Shock Rifle||2||4||1x Red Base. 1x Blue Base.||2x Red Base. 2x Blue Base.|
|Ripper||2||1x Red Base. 1x Blue Base.|
|Rocket Launcher||2||8||1x Red Base. 1x Blue Base.||4x Red Base. 4x Blue Base.|
|Sniper Rifle||6||17||3x Red Base. 3x Blue Base.||7x Red Base. 10x Blue Base.|
|Redeemer||2||1x Red Base. 1x Blue Base.|
|Health Pack||8||4x Red Base. 4x Blue Base.|
|Big Keg o' Health||1||1x Middle Land.|
|Body Armor||2||1x Red Base. 1x Blue Base.|
|Damage Amplifier||2||1x Red Base. 1x Blue Base.|
Tips and tricks Edit
- This is a good map to show how the Translocator can nullify excessive sniping, as well as opening new "routes" regarding reaching the enemy flag. For example, good use of the Translocator can allow you to enter through the Redeemer hole or the Amplifier platform (with a chance to deny the Amplifier to your enemy), effectively avoiding frontal combat.
- Use the Redeemer to get rid of pesky snipers if you're on offense.
- While escaping with the flag, go to the top of the tower, pick the Armor (effectively denying it to your opponent) and start down-climbing down the tower, slowly, as to take the less damage as possible, while your teammates are busy dealing with the enemy team.
- This is one of only two maps to appear in UT and every game after it. The other is the Deck 16 series of levels.
- CTF-Face was inspired by a community map for Unreal, which consisted of 2 bases (with small towers) linked by a bridge. Inoxx, however, chose to make the towers taller to make sniping a major element in the map.
- The original design for the map had lifts, no middle sniping area nor Redeemer area. The bots were confused by the lifts, so they were replaced by teleporters.
- The asteroid was shaped in 3D Studio Max and imported into the Unreal Editor.
- The skybox was reused from the Ending sequence of Unreal and improved with moons and galaxies.
- Some remakes for tournament and league play removed the Sniper Rifle and replaced it with other weapons, but effectively ruined the need for sniper towers.
- A screenshot of the map can be found in Fortnite: Battle Royale, in some areas, as an easter egg.
Author's notes Edit
- "I had this idea after playing a great Unreal level.
I don't remember the Level name but it was a really popular DM level with 2 bases and a big bridge, and a tower on the side with a Sniper Rifle. I wanted this Sniping Tower concept with a different gameplay (Capture the Flag), the atmosphere also had to be completely different. So I did this weird asteroid shape in 3DSMAX and imported it in the Unreal Editor, making the towers was easy, but making the bots working right was by far the hardest and longest part of the work. The original design had lifts but the bots were really confused so I used teleporters.
The Skybox is interesting I think, I saw Pancho working on Koos Galleon and he was trying all kinds of tricks to make the skybox follow the motion of the waves. I realized a really cool effect could be done by just rotating the Skybox with a regular motion so I used the Skybox I made for the Ending Sequence of Unreal, since this one was really under-used (you could see it for 1 second and a half in the original game) so I imported it in Unreal Tournament and I improved it with new galaxies and Moon textures from Mike and Shane. The original Level was turning 4 times faster, but Cliff complained he wanted to puke so I had to change it to prevent players to be too distracted during the game. The effect could really make your head spinning and give you vertigo, making you wondering 'is the screen really moving or what ???'.
Making the Earth texture was a bit tricky as well, especially working around the 256*256 texture limitation. I wish I could just use the original texture I had, which was in 1024*1024, but if I did that it would appear very blurred for the 3DFX users and I wanted to give them the best visual experience possible. So I had to split the texture in 4 small 256*256 textures, which give a final result of 512*512. This is annoying to do because the bilinear filtering is blending the edges together. In the end the line between the different polygons is almost completely hidden but it's a painful process, I'm glad I didn't have to do this too much.
If you have a Savage2000, you'll have a very good Earth texture thanks to S3TC.
At this time I was really into Ambient/Techno like Future Sound of London excellent album: LifeForms. I chose the music to give the same feeling to the Level.
In the end, this Level is the most original work I did so far, with its unique gameplay and atmosphere. This Level was also very well received by the public since I had countless E-mails of people telling me how much they like it. I'm really proud of achieving such a result with this level."
- ―Inoxx's Website
"Best map" awards and mentionsEdit
- GameSpy named the map as the fifth best Capture the Flag level of FPS history
- "If you like to snipe, Facing Worlds must be a lot like dying and going to heaven. Two tall towers float lonely in space, separated by a very long, open crossroads. Trying to cross between bases is difficult, at best, and nearly impossible if the other team has even one good sniper.
Snipers… beware the Redeemer!"
- G4TV named it one of the most influential levels of FPS history.
- "The striking visuals may have helped make the map popular, but it is commonly cited for being extremely balanced, for having respawn points that funnel players back into the action quickly, and for also having plenty of positions for snipers.
Facing Worlds had a lasting affect on Capture the Flag map design to the present day, and was popular enough to be remade in Unreal Tournament 3. Fan versions of Facing Worlds can often be found where modders and first person shooters intersect."
- Red Bull Games named the map the best FPS multiplayer map ever.
- "Saving the best for last, when we think of stellar multiplayer FPS maps, we immediately think of Unreal Tournament’s classic Capture The Flag staple, Facing Worlds. No other map showed off the game’s intense capture the flag mode better than Facing Worlds: an epic outer-space battle arena set on an orbiting asteroid with two Egyptian-themed towers leering at each other. Everything about this map has a purpose, from the slight slope that crests in the middle of the map, preventing you from seeing what’s over the other side when teleporting, to the juicy, ripe Redeemers sitting on top of both towers. There’s simply nowhere to camp – you can run behind the towers, but if you do you’ll be completely out of the action.
Fine-tuned for CTF, you had to hop and frag your way to the enemy tower to steal their flag, and of course, with huge towers propped up on either side, you’d have to ninja your way past enemy sniper fire to actually be in with a chance of getting that flag back to your base – and epic encounters like this helped solidify Facing Worlds as one of the game’s most groundbreaking maps. With the Earth shining brightly in the background, CTF-Face is easily cemented in gaming history as one of the greatest FPS maps ever."
- ―Red Bull Games
- ZoominGames named the map the fifth greatest FPS multiplayer map ever
- WatchMojo.com gave it a honorable mention on their list, with an Unreal spot in the list proper taken by, of all maps, DM-Morpheus.
- ↑ BeyondUnreal
- ↑ Inoxx's notes about CTF-Face
- ↑ "Gamespy's Top-10 Capture The Flag maps"
- ↑ G4TV's "Top-10 influential maps"
- ↑ Red Bull Games's "The 10 greatest FPS multiplayer levels of all time"
- ↑ ZoominGames's "8 greatest FPS multiplayer maps of all time!"
- ↑ WatchMojo.com's "Top 10 First Person Shooter Multiplayer Maps"
|Capture The Flag maps for Unreal Tournament|
|CTF-Command • CTF-Coret • CTF-Dreary • CTF-EternalCave • CTF-Face • CTF-Gauntlet • CTF-LavaGiant • CTF-Niven • CTF-November • CTF-Tutorial|
|Bonus Packs 1-4: CTF-Beatitude • CTF-Cybrosis][ • CTF-Darji16 • CTF-EpicBoy • CTF-Face-SE • CTF-Face][ • CTF-HallOfGiants • CTF-High • CTF-Hydro16 • CTF-Kosov • CTF-Noxion16 • CTF-Nucleus • CTF-Orbital • CTF-Ratchet|
|Console maps: CTF-Phalanx • CTF-Sepulchre • CTF-Spirito • CTF-StormFront • CTF-Sundial|
|Chaos UT GOTY maps: CTF-CUT_ChaosCastle-pf • CTF-CUT_Horus|