- If you're searching for other versions of the map, you might want to check Recurring maps#Facing Worlds.
CTF-Face (UT map) (whose full name is Facing Worlds) is a map appearing in Unreal Tournament. One of the most beautifully built—but at the same time, one of the most dangerous and longest maps in CTF, this arena requires a great deal of offensive and teamplay skills to make it to the enemy base and to get out of there in one piece. Every sniper can hone his skills by striking off enemy heads one-by-one. If you are good at delivering quick headshots, and of course without getting one in return, you can win this map flawlessly, regardless of how hard the game difficulty is.
Being highly popular among critics and fans, this map has various remakes as bonus pack maps of UT and official maps in Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 3, and Unreal Tournament 4.
Map description Edit
The map consists of an asteroid and two towers, each belonging to each team. The central part of the asteroid holds a Big Keg o' Health.
The bases themselves have the flag inside of them, and three teleporters guiding to three different spots. The lower level holds the flag, a Shock Rifle, and a Rocket Launcher. There is also a platform holding a Damage Amplifier.
With the entrance to each base being at the south, the west teleporter ends in a small chamber holding a Redeemer. The east teleport ends in another chamber, above the Redeemer chamber, this time holding a Sniper Rifle. And the third teleporter is placed right in the center of the lower area, and ends in the top of the tower, where players can find another Sniper Rifle and Body Armor. Outside of the bases, players can find some weapons and ammo as well.
It is arguably the most well-known map in the game, liked by many for its simple, symmetric design, and similarly reviled by some for its exploitative design that appeals to snipers and campers.
Weapons and pickups Edit
| Weapon: 1x Red Base, between the Redeemer and Middle Nest teleporters. 1x Blue Base, between the Redeemer and Middle Nest teleporters.|
Ammo: 2x Near the Red Base weapon. 2x Near the Blue Base weapon.
|Weapon: 1x Red Base, Northeast spawn. 1x Blue Base, Southwest spawn.|
| Weapon: 1x Red Base, near the flag. 1x Blue Base, near the flag.|
Ammo: 2x Red Base, near the weapon. 2x Red Base, near the Damage Amplifier. 2x Blue Base, near the weapon. 2x Blue Base, near the Damage Amplifier.
| Weapon: 1x Red Base, Southeast spawn. 1x Red Base, Middle Nest. 1x Red Base, top of the tower. 1x Blue Base, Northwest spawn. 1x Blue Base, Middle Nest. 1x Blue Base, top of the tower.|
Ammo: 4x Near the Red Middle Nest weapon. 3x Near the Red top of the tower weapon. 5x Near the Blue Middle Nest weapon. 3x Near the Blue top of the tower weapon. 2x Near the Red Redeemer.
|Weapon: 1x Red Base, chamber above the Damage Amplifier. 1x Blue Base, chamber above the Damage Amplifier.|
|2x Red Base, near the Redeemer teleport. 2x Red Base, near the flag. 2x Blue Base, near the Redeemer teleport. 2x Blue Base, near the flag.|
|Middle of the Asteroid.|
|1x Red Base, top of the tower. 1x Blue Base, top of the tower.|
|1x Red Base, small chamber above the entrance. 1x Blue Base, small chamber above the entrance.|
Tips and tricks Edit
- This is a good map to show how the Translocator can nullify excessive sniping, as well as opening new "routes" regarding reaching the enemy flag. For example, good use of the Translocator can allow you to enter through the Redeemer hole or the Amplifier platform (with a chance to deny the Amplifier to your enemy), effectively avoiding frontal combat.
- Use the Redeemer to get rid of pesky snipers if you're on offense.
- While escaping with the flag, go to the top of the tower, pick the Armor (effectively denying it to your opponent) and start down-climbing down the tower, slowly, as to take the less damage as possible, while your teammates are busy dealing with the enemy team.
- The retail version of the game features Black Legion as the rival team.
- This is one of only two maps to appear in UT and every game after it. The other is the Deck 16 series of levels.
- CTF-Face was inspired by a community map for Unreal, which consisted of 2 bases (with small towers) linked by a bridge. Inoxx, however, chose to make the towers taller to make sniping a major element in the map.
- The original design for the map had lifts, no middle sniping area nor Redeemer area. The bots were confused by the lifts, so they were replaced by teleporters.
- The asteroid was shaped in 3D Studio Max and imported into the Unreal Editor.
- The skybox was reused from the Ending sequence of Unreal and improved with moons and galaxies.
- Some remakes for tournament and league play removed the Sniper Rifle and replaced it with other weapons, but effectively ruined the need for sniper towers.
- A screenshot of the map can be found in Fortnite: Battle Royale, in some areas, as an easter egg.
Author's notes Edit
"Best map" awards and mentionsEdit
- GameSpy named the map as the fifth best Capture the Flag level of FPS history
- G4TV named it one of the most influential levels of FPS history.
- Red Bull Games named the map the best FPS multiplayer map ever.
- ZoominGames named the map the fifth greatest FPS multiplayer map ever
- WatchMojo.com gave it a honorable mention on their list, with an Unreal spot in the list proper taken by, of all maps, DM-Morpheus.
- Gaming site Kotaku dedicated an entire article to explain why the map was so popular.
- ↑ BeyondUnreal
- ↑ Inoxx's notes about CTF-Face
- ↑ CTF-Face review @ UnrealPlayground.com
- ↑ "Gamespy's Top-10 Capture The Flag maps"
- ↑ G4TV's "Top-10 influential maps"
- ↑ Red Bull Games's "The 10 greatest FPS multiplayer levels of all time"
- ↑ ZoominGames's "8 greatest FPS multiplayer maps of all time!"
- ↑ WatchMojo.com's "Top 10 First Person Shooter Multiplayer Maps"
|Capture The Flag maps for Unreal Tournament|
|CTF-Beatitude • CTF-Command • CTF-Coret (UT map) • CTF-CybrosisII • CTF-Darji16 • CTF-Dreary • CTF-EpicBoy • CTF-EternalCave • CTF-Face-SE • CTF-FaceII • CTF-Gauntlet • CTF-HallOfGiants • CTF-High • CTF-Hydro16 • CTF-Kosov • CTF-LavaGiant • CTF-Niven • CTF-November • CTF-Noxion16 • CTF-Nucleus • CTF-Orbital • CTF-Ratchet • CTF-Tutorial|
|Chaos UT maps: CTF-CUT ChaosCastle-pf • CTF-CUT Horus|
|Console maps: CTF-Phalanx • CTF-Sepulchre • CTF-Spirito • CTF-StormFront • CTF-Sundial|