DM-1on1-Desolation (whose full name is Desolation) is a map appearing in Unreal Tournament 2004.
Map description Edit
A small, multi-tiered map with plenty of art decoration, sometimes getting in the way of the action. It has six named zones, which UnrealEd marks with these colors:
- Window Fountains (cyan): The zone located at the northwest of the map, contains a pair of ramps which end directly in the Damage Amp.
- Female Statue (light green): Comprehends the majority of the map. The statue itself is located at a ramp turn in the center of the area.
- Shock Rifle Hall (magenta): A small hall located at the upper level, right where the Window Fountains zone ends. As its name implies, it holds the eponymous weapon.
- Large Window Scene (dark green): Located at the southwest of the map, named for the huge window located at the southeast corner, right at the turning ramps.
- Flak Hall:(*) Located at the southeast and middle-south of the map, in the upper level. As its name implies, it holds the eponymous weapon.
- Upper Painting (blue): Located at the northeast of the map. Recognizable by the eponymous painting.
Weapons and pickups Edit
| Weapon: Shock Rifle hall.|
Ammo: 1x Female Statue area, at the very east walkway in the lower level. 1x Large Window Scene, near the base of the middle-south ramp. 2x Female Statue area, upper level, at the end of the ramp.
| Weapon: Large Window Scene, lower level, in front of an entrance to the Female Statue area.|
Ammo: 1x Window Fountains area, in front of the northeast entrance to the Female Statue area lower level. 2x Upper Paintings area, at the Flak Hall. 1x Female Statue area, below the ramp. 1x Upper Paintings area, near the UDamage.
| Weapon: 1x Large Window Scene area, near the bathing fountain.|
Ammo: 1x Shock Rifle hall, near entrance to the zone from Window Fountains. 1x Large Window Scene area, near the turning ramp base. 2x Near the Minigun. 1x Large Window Scene, near the base of the middle-south ramp. 1x Female Statue area, upper level, southwest corner. 1x Female Statue area, at the very east walkway in the lower level.
| Weapon: Flak Cannon hall.|
Ammo: 1x Window Fountains area, behind a wall at the northeast end. 1x Shock Rifle hall, near entrance to the zone from Window Fountains. 1x Upper Paintings area, near the UDamage. 1x Female Statue area, below the ramp. 2x Large Window Scene, at the base of the southwest ramp.
| Weapon: Female Statue area, at the ramp turn.|
Ammo: 1x Female Statue area, at the very east walkway in the lower level. 1x Large Window Scene, near the base of the middle-south ramp. 1x Female Statue area, upper level, southwest corner.
|Weapon: Window Fountains area, at the ramp turn, northwest.|
|4x Window Fountains area, at the ramp to the UDamage. 3x Large Window Scene area, at the end of the southeast ramp. 4x the gardens connecting the Large Window Scene and Female Statue areas.|
|1x Upper Paintings area, at the southeast corner. 1x Large Window Scene, below the middle south ramp. 1x Female Statue area, below the ramp. 1x Female Statue area, between a pair of walls near the Large Window Scene ramp ends. 1x Window Fountains area, near middle-north entrance to the Female Statue area.|
|Female Statue area, in a ledge between the Window Fountains and Upper Paintings area.|
|3x Large Window Scene area, at the ramp to the upper level. 3x Female Statue area, at the end of the ramp.|
Before playing, take a moment to spectate the empty map and plan where you go when you spawn. It could helpful to play several Instant Action matches alone or with few bots before playing this one in the Ladder. Since the bots will be attacking you from everywhere, you should take a lot of care about your health, especially for the lack of armor in this map, so try not to get hit. With such small map, expect to be attacked everywhere and even by several bots.
Timing the UDamage, and negating it to the bots helps a lot. Of course, you need to take advantage of the UDamage before it worns out, which means: "FRAG! FRAG! FRAG!"
Add to it the aforementioned natural dangers of the level, and you get the most challenging match of the entire SP, and possibly of the entire franchise.
Finishing this map nets you 2000 credits, enough for your sponsor to finance a team of bots of your choosing.
The bots eligible for this match are Avalanche, Kain, Nafiret, Natron, Perdition, Phantom, Silhouette, Sorrow, Sphinx, Stargazer, Tranquility and Vengeance.
Tips and tricks Edit
- The only way to get some armor in this map is through the Booster/Regeneration adrenaline combo, (if adrenaline is allowed) and that's only if you manage to get a lot of health prior to the combo activation. The low amount of adrenaline in this map doesn't help much.
- The intricacy of the map and the small size of it's passages don't leave much space for trickjumps, though you can get cover from fire in the main areas.
- Since this map lacks armor, timing the UDamage might help you a lot.
- Due to an error with the zoning, the Female Statue and Flak Hall areas are fused and wrongly informed in the game.