- "Thanks to Magnetic Anti-Vacuum Resonance technology, combatants are able to battle outside of Xan’s ‘HyperBlast’ ArenaShip for an extended period of time. Use extreme caution though, one mistake and you’ll find yourself floating in space."
- ―Map description
DM-HyperBlast (whose full name is HyperBlast) is a map in Unreal Tournament.
A perfect open map for one-on-one takedown, DM-HyperBlast has a wide variety of defensive items to gain an upper hand against your opponents.
Map description Edit
This is an axially symmetrical map. The layout consists of three levels accessible via ramps. The lower level is composed by two rooms with a corridor between them, and door-like openings to the outside, which means you can knock your opponents into hyperspace if you are lucky.
The middle level is the largest and consist of two "arms" with two corridors between them. The wider one has the Pulse Gun, the narrow one has an Armor. Both corridors have doors, so watch where you step. The lower level can be accessed only through these arms. There's a pair of teleporters in the arms which can net you a quick escape if you need to get away hastily. Additionally, a long semicircular corridor connects the two sides, filled with vials and a Shield Belt at the middle (next to a door). Due to this, this corridor is host to hectic fighting.
The upper level is simply a corridor with access to outside and an Invisibility powerup at the middle, above the middle corridor connecting the "arms". The top of the ship is a very dangerous place: weapons that have large knockback can easily fling you into hyperspace, which is why you will find the Rocket Launcher (above the Invisibility/Pulse Gun) and the Shock Rifle (above the semicircle) outside.
Weapons and pickups Edit
|Weapon||Count||Ammo||Weapon Location||Ammo Location|
|Bio Rifle||1||2||Lower level, right side.||Lower level, right side.|
|Shock Rifle||1||2||Outside, on the curve.||Outside, on the curve.|
|Pulse Gun||1||2||Middle level, dead center.||Middle level, dead center.|
|Ripper||1||2||Middle level, right side.||Middle level, right side.|
|Minigun||1||2||Middle level, left side.||Middle level, left side.|
|Flak Cannon||1||3||Lower level, left side.||Lower level, left side.|
|Rocket Launcher||1||3||Outside, on top of the ship.||Outside, on top of the ship.|
|Body Armor||1||In the narrow corridor between the two sides.|
|Shield Belt||1||Middle level, at the mid-point of the curve.|
|Invisibility||1||Upper level, dead center.|
Tips and tricks Edit
- The Shock Rifle is dangerous to get, but very rewarding when it comes to damaging your enemy.
- When you see a player falling to the void, don't waste your time and shoot him before he dies or suicides!
- As an added touch of realism, players that fall into deep space will swell up like balloons as the pressure around them drops, and will explode after a few seconds. As a player moves away from the ship, there is a "point of no return", after which his or her body begins to expand and there is no way to avoid exploding. Their ability to move around out here is limited, so try to shoot your opponents before they pop in order to get the kill!
- Get the Rocket Launcher or the Flak Cannon, then camp at the Shield Belt.
Single player Edit
This is the level where you fight Xan, the Tournament champion, in a very hard one-on-one battle. You have to score 15 frags before him to win the game. He constantly jumps around during combat, thus making hitscan weapons useless. Also, he perpetually traverses the ship, making it a burdensome task to hide from him. Furthermore, he has the exasperating habit to pick up the Invisibility from the upper level. When he does so, keep running away until his invisibility effects wear off. With this said, plus all of the previous tips, here're some additional tips:
- You have to rely on splash damage (shock combos, flak shells, rockets, explosive blades) and spamming weapons (minigun, flak cannon) to damage him.
- Keep him away from the Shield Belt at all costs. Since he's a tough opponent anyway, you shouldn't make his task any easier.
- If he leads the match, try to lure him outside and knock him off the ship. This will decrease the difference enough to buy some time. The same is also advised if he picks up the Shield Belt and the Invisibility.
- If nothing else works but your aim is good, camp at the top of the curved corridor and keep shooting at him with the Shock Rifle when he goes for the Rocket Launcher: even if you do not kill him, there is a chance he won't be able to land next to you.
- Alternatively, you can wait at the Shield Belt until he goes for the Shock Rifle, then shoot him: he can't dodge in mid-air.
- In order to avoid that Xan picks up the Invisibility, you must reach it first, and then control it by timing (it respawns every 109 seconds, so keep track of the time by looking at the scoreboard's "remaining time" while you aren't engaged in battle).
- This map had the working title "Borealis".
- The map was started by Inoxx and finished by Eekels. The latter carved the semicircular area and did the weapon/item placement.
- The PlayStation 2 version of the game takes the first sentence of the intro text, and adds the following:
- "Thanks to Magnetic Anti-Vacuum Resonance technology, combatants are able to battle outside of Xan’s ‘HyperBlast’ ArenaShip for an extended period of time. Xan is the reigning Tournament Champion, and has never lost a match."
Author's notes Edit
- "I started this Level as 'Borealis', I wanted to do some interesting setting, fighting in a Spaceship in Hyperspace.
I did the outside of the ship. The back of the ship is a ring that was supposed to be part of a Particle Accelerator in order to create the Antimatter necessary for the Hyperspace flight. But I had to go on trip to Singapore in April to meet my Fiancee parents before our wedding which was scheduled in July. So I had to give this Level to Pancho who did all the inside rooms and the items placement. When I came back from Singapore I wanted to take my Level back and work on it again but it was too late, Pancho already merged his brain with the Level and there was nothing I could do to get my baby back :) He did an awesome job and he made the low gravity area outside the ship.
Overall this Level is extremely original. Combining the skills of two Level Designers is an interesting experiment, we should have tried that more. Pancho is an ***excellent*** modeler and Level Designer. I really miss working with him and the other people from Digital Extremes. I wish them luck with DarkSector, their next game."
- ―Inoxx's website