| This article is a stub. You can help the Unreal Wiki by expanding it.|
What needs to be done: Add UT4 info.
The Impact Hammer is a melee weapon from the Unreal series.
The Impact Hammer serves as one default weapon (besides the Enforcer) which all UT99 and UT3 players start with. This pneumatic crushing device was originally used as a miner's tunneling tool, powered by extremely high amounts of air pressure (as proven by the 2 large air tanks on the sides).
Unreal Tournament Edit
- "Originally used as a miner's tunneling tool, the Impact Hammer is a pneumatic crushing device that now pulverizes opponents as effectively as it once shattered rock. Use it to demolish your enemies in one of two ways: Hit them with quick repeated strikes, or charge it up and let it loose with a single, more powerful attack."
- ―UT manual
- Melee Piston
- Primary Fire
- When trigger is held down, touch opponents with this piston to inflict massive damage.
- Secondary Fire
- Damage opponents at close range and has the ability to deflect projectiles.
Besides smashing opponents, it can also be used to do hammer jumps, which involves using the Impact Hammer to propel the player, as well as deflect or reflect projectiles away or back at its source. Secondary fire repeatedly triggered the hammer, while the Primary fire charges the hammer and delivers a lethal impact when the hammer comes in contact with a target bot.
Unreal Tournament 3 Edit
- "The Impact Hammer, originally designed for sub-surface drift mining, can focus several hundred metric tons of pressure into the space of a few square centimeters. The impact, and resulting shock wave, easily destabilizes solid stone to speed ore separation and excavation. After several mining accidents highlighted the Hammer's devastating effect on the human body, the N.E.G. military took interest. To improve the Hammer's effectiveness against vehicles with shock-absorbing armor, an alternate electromagnetic pulse (EMP) mode was added. The EMP violently scrambles onboard computer systems, quickly leading to engine failure. Field testing showed the EMP has a similar effect on infantry powerups, knocking them off soldiers and enabling battlefield recovery."
- ―UT3 manual
- Primary Fire
- Charges the hammer when held. It will automatically release upon an opponent in range, or when Fire is released. When hitting something other than other players (for example walls, vehicles or power nodes), that object receives a push, but no damage. Instead, the impact reflects back to the player, causing self damage and knock-back. Using this feature to gain extra jump height at the expense of some health is called impact jumping.
- Secondary Fire
- EMP Mode. This mode does no damage to players, but up to 150 points of damage to vehicles. Using this against an enemy player will dislodge his timed powerups and Shield Belt, which is especially useful against Invulnerability.
In Unreal Tournament 3, it is red, with an updated appearance.
Unreal Tournament 4 Edit
Tips and tricks Edit
- Projectile deflection: A feature from the UT version, hitting the alt-fire button at the right time will deflect the enemy projectiles.
- Hammer Jump: Shoot at the ground while jumping to jump extra high. Charging it makes you jump higher, at the cost of more health. Also called a "Piston Jump."
- Hammer Dodge: Dodge and Hammer Jump at the same time to gain extra speed when escaping from enemies' base in CTF matches. Also called a "Piston Dodge."
- Telepunting: The Impact Hammer can fling a translocator disk much further than a person could normally throw it. Care must be maintained by both the punter and the person teleporting that it doesn't fly off target or at terminal speeds/distances.
- Watch out for piston camping near teleporters. This is a very popular technique in some maps, such as CTF-Face.