- "The Ion Painter seems innocuous enough at first glance, emitting a harmless low-power laser beam when the primary firing mode is engaged. Several seconds later, a multi-gigawatt orbital ion cannon fires on the target, neutralizing any combatants in the vicinity. The Ion Painter is a remote targeting device used to orient and fire the VAPOR Ion Cannon. The Ion Painter offers increased targeting accuracy via its telescopic sight, easily activated by the secondary fire mode of the weapon. Once the Ion Painter has been used to designate a target, it is highly recommended that the user put considerable distance between themselves and the weapon’s area of effect."
- ―Weapon description
The Ion Painter delivers a delayed but extremely powerful blast which appears to come out of the sky. Set a target or area up for a blast from above, pinpoint a target and use the ion painter’s primary fire to emit a low-power laser beam at the target. (The laser beam isn’t the weapon) After a few seconds, ion cannons from far above bombard the area with ionized plasma causing major area effect damage.
In Unreal Championship and Unreal Tournament 2003, the Ion Painter can usually be found in maps containing the Ion Cannon satellite. When attempting to mark a location, make sure the satellite has a line of sight to it. This isn't the case with Unreal Tournament 2004, where there must be a free line of sight upwards from the target location. Also, as a purely visual effect, there are up to three ion beams firing at the target location. The actual number of beams depends on the line of sight for the individual beams, but doesn't affect the damage output.
Tips and tricks Edit
- The Ion Painter's strategic use is normally confined to blowing up objectives or crowds of unheeding opponents.
Unreal Championship Edit
- "The deadliest weapon in Unreal Championship is the TAG rifle (Target Acquisition and Guidance). Hold the trigger down long enough for the nearest satellite to lock on your location. When it fires, it obliterates everything in a wide area.
It takes a while to lock on, however, and occasionally loses its lock when an enemy crosses the path. Be careful not to get caught in the blast yourself. You usually only get one shot.
The primary fire is a thin laser beam that, locked on to a spot on the ground, calls in a massive ion strike from a satellite overhead. Don’t aim at people or vertical surfaces. Find a good horizontal spot and try to lead your opponents so they’ll be hit as they cross the blast area.
The secondary trigger zooms your view to see faraway distances, allowing you to find a hiding place and target your enemy from relative safety. This is especially useful in very large maps. Don’t waste this feature by trying to rush shots from close range.
This weapon is most effective used from a considerable distance. You do the most damage if the enemy cannot see you or get to you in time.
The satellite cannot lock on to your TAG rifle beam through a roof, so don’t even bother trying this weapon indoors. You usually won’t find a TAG rifle in indoor environments, and couldn’t use it if you did.
Take into account the delay between the lock-on start and the ion burst, and aim at a well-traveled area rather than the place where your enemy is at the moment you pull the trigger."
- ―Unreal Championship Prima Official Strategy Guide
Unreal Tournament 2004 Edit
- It is also useful in clearing out defenders from a power node in Onslaught. It is also effective when used on an unshielded power core.
- In early Unreal Championship beta builds it fired rapid projectile laser bursts instead of the single hitscan targeting beam for the Ion Cannon.
- T.A.G. in Unreal Championship stands for Target Acquisition and Guidance.