- If you're searching for other melee and ranged starting weapons, you might want to check Starting loadouts.
The Shield Gun is a melee weapon in the Unreal series.
The Shield Gun replaces the Impact Hammer in Unreal Championship, Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal Tournament 2004. It is one of the default weapons players spawn with, the others being the Translocator and the Assault Rifle.
This multi-purpose weapon serves as an offensive melee weapon, a defensive shield, and as a means (albeit painful) of extending your jump height.
Primary fire works similar to that of the Impact Hammer. Hold down primary to charge the weapon and walk into an enemy for an automatic release of the charged energy. This fire mode deals up to 150 damage, enough to kill a lightly armored opponent.
Secondary fire creates a shield that protects the user's front. While the shield is up, its energy slowly drains. In addition, any damage absorbed by the shield will also drain energy. Directly after the shield is up, it can drain 100 damage twice, enough for example to completely block two rockets. An attack that deals over 100 damage in one go, a fully charged bio glob for example, will partly penetrate the shield. In addition to blocking enemy attacks, it will reflect some energy projectiles, such as that of the Link Gun primary fire, in the direction the Shield Gun is aimed. While the shield is not used, its energy recharges. In UT2004, creating the shield drains 15% of the total energy, reducing the total amount of damage that can be absorbed right after the shield is up to 170, and discouraging letting the shield down quickly in between attacks to recharge.
Tips and tricks Edit
- The primary fire is effective against a sniper that doesn’t see you coming or a player currently guiding a redeemer rocket.
- Pointing the shield down while falling will slightly reduce the damage taken from the impact when you hit the floor.
- You can also use the shield’s primary fire as a means of boosting your jumping ability. Charge the primary fire, point at the ground, and hit the jump button as you release the fire button. You can combine this technique with a running jump to reach high ledges or the top of buildings. You can also use it as a means of traversing a section of the map quickly (such as grabbing that power-up sooner or reaching the flag position faster). Note that the technique does inflict self-damage! Be healthy or, ideally, have a shield pack.
Unreal Championship Edit
- Many people complained that the Shield Gun made the game too defensive and encouraged running away from fights leading to this meme.